Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo



From the back of the package:

"Buffalo are here! You've seen buffalo grazing the plains of North America in countless Westerns, but would you believe that these might animals which can weigh up to two tonnes now graze the plains of... Co. Meath. Yes, Ireland has a buffalo ranch. But don't expect to hear beating drums or see smoke signals in the vicinity of these buffalo. These hairy giants are farmed in much the same way as conventional cattle (except for the stronger fences). So now thanks to Hunky Dorys, you can saddle up and try a taste of the Wild West."

Also on the back of the package:
"Suitable for Vegetarians."


There are a lot of different kinds of chips in Ireland. Pringles is...out of control, with their "Rice Infusions", "Light Aroma", and even a "Gourmet" line. There's also a lot of meat-flavored chips, most of which don't actually have any meat in them, making it slightly more acceptable for me to be as obsessed with them as I am. Pigs-in-a-blanket Hula Hoops are my indulgence of choice, but I will eat pretty much any meat-flavored chip anyone throws my way. So when I saw the buffalo-flavored Hunky Dorys, I had to try them.

Let me tell you, they are weird. I've had buffalo, and I guess they could be said to be loosely inspired by the flavor, but man. Weird. I think I'll stick to the more traditional meats for my chip flavors.

2 comments:

Nathaniel said...

I wonder if the manufacturers are familiar with the original meaning of the term "buffalo chip."

Kate said...

That is one of the very first thoughts I had upon seeing these chips.